Division of Nursing
The UMFK Division of Nursing provides a rigorous education founded upon the liberal arts. Our nursing program prepares professional nurse graduates who holistically and compassionately serve individuals, families, and communities in a complex global society.
Nursing faculty members deliver a transformative education to prepare graduates who serve as nurse clinicians, scholars, and educators to meet the health need of the people of Maine and beyond.
In fulfillment of its mission, the Division of Nursing will:
- Provide baccalaureate nursing education that responds to, and fosters the development of, professional nurses prepared to meet the health care needs of an ever-changing, multicultural society
- Develop and utilize creative and innovative educational methodologies that serve the learning needs of a diverse student population
- Prepare nurses to become leaders in promoting, maintaining, and optimizing healthy communities
- Provide a community-based liberal arts educational program using a holistic approach focused on health promotion and optimal wellness
- Prepare nurses to use technology to meet the complex healthcare needs of the population
- Promote the development of the skills, values, and responsiveness required by registered nurses to meet the healthcare needs of the greater community
- Seek and utilize opportunities for faculty and students to pursue scholarly endeavors, such as teaching, practice, service, and research
- Develop, foster, and maintain collaborative partnerships with the community and other institutions